Monday, May 7, 2018

Am I an Alcoholic???


As I stated in my very first blog post.. I do NOT consider myself an Alcoholic.  Saying it out loud makes me feel like I have a very big head that has lost many screws. But let me see if I can rationalize it for you... 

Being an Alcoholic means I have a LIFE long DIEASE that is incurable.  That is really hard to deal with and grasp.  You mean I am going to have to fight this for the REST of MY LIFE???? Who would even want to try to do that?  I know I sure as heck don't.  Yes I have admitted I have a problem with Alcohol no doubt about it.  Will I always struggle with it?  Yes I am sure I will when I let it, I couldn't control it to start with so I know down the road as much I would like to I won't be able to.  So yes the term may be correct, but for my mind set I am not going to label myself that.  I have an intolerance to alcohol that's it.  It does not like me and I do not like it. I was an alcohol ADDICT but I do not have a disease.  Just like I have read someone who uses heroin it is not said they have heroinism, they are a heroin addict. A cocaine user is a crack addict (not sure if that is the right term) not a cocainolic.

I am sure this post makes no sense to some, I am not sure how to say it as the way I portray it in my mind.  I know it is just a word, but like cancer, that word hangs with you for the rest of your life.  Yes I will always be mindful of my problems but I will also try my best to look at the way that makes me feel better about myself not worse so I have more of a chance for success.
*I am sure this post will be edited several times as I figure out a way to explain it without sounding like a nut case :)

No comments:

Post a Comment